Graduate school is a large investment in both time and money. Researching whether grad school is the right next step can feel overwhelming but we’re here to help!
Here are some things to consider:
Do you need a graduate degree for the career you have chosen?
Do you want a career that requires that you get an advanced degree? These include doctor, lawyer, school counselor. Careers that require a license or certification have clear guidelines that will tell you what degree you need to get.
In other careers, having a graduate degree may not be required but it may give you an opportunity for a higher paying job. Getting an MBA may open more doors for you in the field of Marketing, for example. Do not assume that you will automatically get paid more for getting an advanced degree, however.
Do you want to go to graduate school right away or work first?
There is no right answer to this question. You must decide for yourself what works. Some things to think about are…
- Are you set on your career choice? If you are sure about your career choice it is best to continue your education.
- Would it be possible to have a company pay for your education if you started work first?
- Are you feeling burned out after 4 years of college? Do you need a break?
- If you’re unsure of a career, do you need to try some things before you decide?
- Are you concerned that once you start working it will be too difficult to go back to school?
If you would like to talk about your options, please make an appointment with Career Services.