Position: High School Chemistry Teacher
Reports to: Assistant Principal of Instruction
Location: STRIVE Prep RISE High School (Denver, CO)
Salary: $50,000-$69,000 based on years of experience and education. This role is eligible for a $2,000 addition to base salary for passing a language proficiency test for an approved language as well as a relocation bonus. You can see an estimate of your salary offer by visiting the calculator on our website.
Status: Full time, exempt, in-person position
Start Date: August 1st, 2022 for Arrive At STRIVE new hire orientation
STRIVE Prep is a Denver-based community of public charter schools that challenges every student to strive for college and thrive throughout life by helping them to discover and develop the knowledge, skills and confidence necessary to succeed in college and beyond. We encourage you to read our 2021 Impact Report and learn more about what a career at STRIVE Prep is like here.
We seek dedicated educators that live STRIVE Prep’s core values of achievement, justice, & perseverance every day and are committed to growing as an anti-racist educator.
DAY IN THE LIFE
As a high school chemistry teacher, you will be inspiring youth to engage with deep and meaningful topics in physical science. The course is aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards, and you will be charged with finding meaningful and relevant ways to bring the standards to life in your classroom . You will teach foundational principles of chemistry, and also how those principles apply to larger phenomena that drive processes in our lives and on our planet. Through simulations, hands-on activities, and labs, you will inspire rich collaboration and opportunities for scholars to discuss science concepts in depth. In this role, you will be preparing our next generation of chemists by helping scholars acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to enter careers in medicine, health science, chemical engineering, and more.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- An unwavering commitment to anti-racist work including engaging in ongoing diversity, equity, & inclusion development.
- We do not require a Colorado Teaching License for our general education teaching positions. However, you do need to possess a Bachelor of Arts or Sciences degree and achieve Qualified Teacher Status within six weeks of your start date through one of the approved channels outlined by the Colorado Department of Education.
NICE TO HAVES
- Speaks Spanish and/or has experience working with Multilanguage Learners
- Demonstrated success working with students of color
- Lead engaging, hands on, data-driven instruction in Chemistry, which will be finalized in partnership with the selected candidate.
- Adapt a rigorous and standards-aligned curriculum.
- Analyze student data and use it to provide student feedback and set goals.
- Collaborate with other teachers, school leaders, your instructional coach, curriculum directors, the English Language Development Director and the Special Education team to ensure that instruction meets the needs of each learner.
- Modify, create, and share pedagogy that draws on students’ lived experiences and cultures in a way that is socially transformative for the student, the school, and the community.
- Maintain systems and processes for managing chemicals and lab supplies.
- Establish systems and routines in order to create a safe, purposeful, and welcoming classroom environment focused on learning.
- Lead a student advisory, serve as the main point of contact, and advocate for students in an advisory of approximately 25 students.
- Develop the necessary analytical, social-emotional, and academic skills so that students can effectively navigate their social conditions and mainstream culture in order to become agents of social transformation.
- Communicate regularly and often with families to both solicit their input and share student social and academic progress. Develop meaningful relationships with families to ensure that they can be active advocates and supports for their students’ learning.
- Participate in family and community events, including twice-annual parent conferences and at least one student enrollment event or activity.
- Own the success and achievement of all scholars in the school.
- Attend and actively engage in weekly staff and grade level meetings.
- Participate in regular instructional coaching meetings and content-based department meetings; self-advocate for specific needs in coaching or development as desired.
- Participate in STRIVE Prep’s Summer Training Institute as well as professional development throughout the school year.
For most of our positions, we hire on a rolling basis. Therefore, we recommend that you submit your application as soon as you are able. Most processes include a 30 minute phone interview with a member of our Talent Team then a 1-2 hour final interview over Zoom unless otherwise noted by your interviewer. You can read more about our process as well as get tips on preparing for an interview here!
Employee retention is a top priority at STRIVE Prep. Therefore we offer competitive compensation and benefits including the following:
- Excellent Healthcare Plan: 100% of employee-only monthly premium paid by STRIVE Prep.
- Recognition for Years of Service: All STRIVE Prep employees will receive an additional $3,000 in their base salary after the 3rd year, 5th year, and 7th year of service at STRIVE Prep.
- Celebrated for Multilingual Abilities: We value our multilingual staff and the impact they have on our students and community. Therefore, staff that speak a language spoken by our families are eligible to receive an additional $2,000 to their base salary.
- Time Off To Refresh: Industry high 8+ weeks of annual vacation/PTO. Hard work is rewarded with ample time to refresh.
- Based on hire date, employees are eligible for up to 8 days of PTO
- All employees receive 2 floating religious holidays
- All employees receive summer vacation based on work location and position
- Community: Opportunity to work with passionate, mission-driven colleagues who are invested in your personal and professional growth. Join one of our Affinity Groups to build connections with staff across the network who share common identities.
- Career Support: Access to our Talent Team to support internal movement. We want you to grow your career at STRIVE!
- Family & Well Being Focus: Parental and medical leave of 6 weeks paid and 6 weeks unpaid for a total of 12 weeks.
- Mental Health Assistance: We value the wellness of our students and staff. That’s why we offer access to mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program with Optum.
- Resources and Development For Success: Equipment provided: laptop, Weekly coaching sessions
- Retirement Planning: Participation in the Colorado PERA retirement program, including a PERA 401k option.
- For more information, you can view our compensation and benefits FAQ here.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
STRIVE Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. STRIVE Prep works to make a college preparatory education for all students in our community the norm, rather than the exception. To achieve this we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse team by maintaining hiring and recruiting processes that are free from bias.
Not interested but know someone who would be a great fit? Refer them here and earn $200 for each successful hire!