The Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS) is recruiting AmeriCorps members to serve on the frontlines of the COVID-19 response and recovery through CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps.
CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps is a partnership and collaboration between the Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS), the New York State Commission on National and Community Service, AmeriCorps, and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
This program is part of the national Public Health AmeriCorps initiative to support COVID-19 recovery efforts and help strengthen the public health workforce in New York State.
About CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps
CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps is a workforce development program dedicated to assisting community health centers in addressing COVID-19 response and other health care needs in their communities.
Members perform a year of service (1700 hours, 10-11 months) at community health centers, where they work to improve and expand the delivery of services at their sites. Our program prepares its members for careers in community-based primary health care. Members perform direct service with patients thereby filling service gaps, increasing access to, and improving utilization of health center services.
CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps members serve full-time in various community health centers across New York State, including NYC. Each member works on a service project that reflects the needs of their health center, the community where it is based, and the objectives of the Public Health Corps, with a focus on COVID-19 pandemic response.
During their term of service, members will engage in:
· Patient navigation
· Linking patients and community residents to care
· Facilitated enrollment
· Patient and community outreach with a focus on COVID-19 pandemic response
· Substance use screening and targeted care management
· Health education
· Other services addressing Social Determinants of Health
Positions are available in all five NYC boroughs and across the state. Each position in the program is tailored to meet the specific needs of our diverse Community Health Center sites. Spanish language skill is strongly encouraged but not required to apply.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits
AmeriCorps members in CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps receive a complete package of benefits during the 10–11-month term of service, including:
- Living allowance of $26,000
- Segal Education Award of $6,495
- Unlimited Monthly MetroCard or travel reimbursement
- Public Health training through Cornell University and other specialized training
- Health Insurance
- Loan deferment on qualified student loans
- Child Care benefits if eligible
As a workforce development program, CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps is committed to developing a pipeline to public and community health careers and higher education. CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps members receive extensive professional development, training opportunities, and wide exposure to careers in public health and medicine. This first-hand experience in health service delivery, coupled with in-service training and post-program transition services results in CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps members:
- Pursuing upwardly mobile health careers
- Developing a life-long commitment to volunteer service
- Achieving long-term personal, family, and civic stability and growth
- Learning specific transferable skills in healthcare
- Obtaining career services, including resume development assistance, cover letter writing, and mock interviewing
- Gaining insight into working in non-profit community-based environments
- Living in their own community or learning about a new community away from home
Apply to the CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps program by clicking here. Please note that you will have to register to the MyAmeriCorps member application portal to apply.
For more information about CHCANYS Public Health AmeriCorps please contact us at email@example.com.