Seasonal Camp Counselor and Internship Leadership Program
Camp Wekeela, offers a safe, fun, nurturing environment in a scenic mountain lake setting in Hartford, Maine. It offers a family-oriented program for 270 boys and girls 7-16 with talented instructional specialists and counselors (staff/camper ratio is 1 to 2.5).
· Provide leadership, motivation, encouragement, and support to campers aged 7 – 16 throughout the entire camp experience, in and out of the cabin, as well as among fellow staff members
· Offer guidance and compassion to campers in Wekeela’s eight-part activity program consisting of water sports, land sports, tennis, outdoor adventure, environmental education, creative, performing and culinary arts.
· Build confidence in yourself and those around you for two months in an idyllic Maine setting, just 45 minutes from Portland
· Counselors live in cabins with 10-12 campers, establishing a strong bond with them and being a positive role model with 4-5 counselor colleagues. Counselors support the development of campers and enable them to set and achieve goals, gain new skills, and make positive choices through managing cabin life and facilitating group dynamics and activities.
· Plan and lead cabin group activities such as games, trips, hobbies, storytelling, singing, socials, crafts, etc. Become sensitive to the needs of individuals during group activities; help those who need encouragement or assistance. Help other activity leaders by becoming involved and enthusiastic in their programs. Use personal skills to lead counselor-run activities.
· Safety is a top priority for Camp Weekela, all rules and guidelines must be adhered to.
Skills you will gain:
· Gain memorable experiences working with children and gain a better understanding of child development
· Improve your leadership and problem-solving skills as you become a mentor; feel proud as you watch your campers perform / accomplish something for the first time
· Succeed as a team and meet new people with peers from 24 different states and 19 different countries
· Work hard and have the best summer of your life where friends become family