Join us this summer at Camp Towanda for the experience of a lifetime!
Working at summer camp is an incredible opportunity to prepare for a career in psychology!
Camp Towanda is the premier co-ed, 7 week sleep-away camp for children ages 7-17. We offer a well rounded program of activities from sports, to the waterfront, Outdoor Adventure and the Arts.
- Understand the responsibility of taking care of children and experience the impact and importance that a residential 7-week summer camp has on a child’s physical, emotional, and cognitive development.
- Learn from the program’s leadership team and social worker by meeting weekly and debriefing current issues that arise at camp to gain insight on how child behavior issues are dealt with in a large, fast-paced, community setting.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by growing emotionally and learning from failure and success while motivating the desire to be a life-long learner.
- Strengthen leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to hundreds of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network.
Working as a camp counselor at Camp Towanda gives you hands-on experience aligned with a psychology degree. As a Psychology Intern there is no better setting to be exposed to childhood behavior and youth development. Psychology Interns will meet with and learn from our Head Counselors, Child Development Team and Director. Interns will also meet with members of our “Child Care Committee” and other Psychology Interns to discuss social observations that have made throughout the summer.
To clarify, this is not a clinical experience. Interns will gain insight into the operations of camp from a psychological perspective and understand what goes into the different child behavioral situations that may occur. Interns will not be working with any campers one on one. However, there may be some campers in your assigned cabin that you will be helping navigate these situations.
Psychology Interns work with the campers as a counselor, living in a cabin with campers and other co-counselors. Working at Camp Towanda as a counselor provides hands-on experience and leadership opportunities, while building skills that hiring managers are looking for, such as flexibility, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity, accountability, leadership and responsibility. When you are not at your specialty, you will be with your assigned group of campers as a counselor, ensuring safety, team-building, growth and development in all activities and in life at camp.
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP.
- Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
The next step is to fill out our online application. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to check out our website www.camptowanda.com and our staff website www.worksummercamp.com