At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Program Leader (PL) serves as the “point of accountability” for one or more assets. They develop, lead, and inspire a high performing matrix “dotted line” team. The PL is accountable for the design and execution of a global integrated drug development strategy (from late proof of concept to successful commercial launch and lifecycle management). They are responsible for cross-functional stakeholder relationships and input to ensure end to end understanding of upstream and downstream alignment and implications for the strategy, and its evolution as emerging data and competitive insights unfold.
Technical/Functional Roles & Responsibilities:
- Creates and delivers the vision and strategy for asset global development and drives successful execution of approved program strategies.
- Engages senior leaders and functional area stakeholders to ensure alignment of program strategy and operational plans with functional area capabilities, including adequate and timely resourcing of Program Development Teams.
- Drives development & commercialization strategy and represents asset in integrated leadership forums; development strategy includes external (BD) strategy and execution in partnership across Therapeutic Areas (TA’s)/ Thematic Research Centers (TRC’s).
- Represents the program to governance committees to enable timely and well-informed decision making at major stage gates.
- On an ongoing basis, clearly communicates evolving program risks, opportunities as new data emerge within the program, implications of changes in the competitive landscape, and progress toward key milestones.
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with external stakeholders (Opinion Leaders, Strategic Alliance Partners, Patient Advocacy Leaders, Health Authorities).
- Actively supports Investor Relations and Public Affairs in managing external BMS communications.
- Leads and manages the cross functional development team to:
- Assess business opportunities informed by scientific, regulatory, clinical, manufacturing, and commercial aspects
- Shape product strategy for competitive profiling to support our value story
- Holistically assess data needs for Registrational and Non-Registrational Data Generation across various markets
- Adhere to the Product Development and Commercialization (PD&C) processes for the selected asset and achievement of key milestones
- Ensure required clinical, nonclinical, and quality/CMC data are generated to support global registrations
- Proactively identify potential risks and drives the execution of mitigation strategies
- Interpret and communicate key clinical trial results and regulatory milestones to appropriate governance boards
- Develop a data generation strategy that addresses both regulatory and reimbursement needs globally
- Partner with both internal and external teams to develop and execute a Data Dissemination Strategy for primary and secondary publications
- Secure required headcount and budget to achieve global PD&C plan and drives allocation and prioritization of activities across Research and Development, including Regulatory, Worldwide Medical, etc.
Leadership Roles & Responsibilities:
- Builds a high performing team by engaging matrix team members on the program vision and promoting team cohesiveness to optimize performance, and mediating conflict resolution.
- Ensures collaboration and effective decision making through a unified strategy, aligned roles & responsibilities, ways of working and accountabilities.
- Deploys talent on the team to strengthen understanding and build cross functional capability.
- Incorporates, translates, and tracks shared objectives to ensure team accountability and fair shared results.
- Ensures on-going understanding of deliverables, accountability, timelines, and project plans.
- Invests in team effectiveness solutions to drive a high performing team.
- Recognizes team members and team for milestones and performance.
- Inspires and leads through times of change and ambiguity; empowers matrix team members.
- Provides on-going performance feedback and leads by example.
Core requirement that are mandatory for the role
- Advanced degree with extensive experience in drug development.
- Proven demonstrated Leadership capability; previous experience in building and leading a high performing team.
- A minimum of 8 years in the drug development & commercialization process, including experience interacting with Health Authorities and clinical trial design with proven progression in relevant roles and significant experience in related therapeutic area.
Requirements for the role
- Extensive working knowledge in Neuroscience end-to-end drug development process, along with expertise in one or more of the relevant areas (e.g., clinical, regulatory, project planning and management, medical).
- Experience in building trusting cross-functional stakeholder partnerships in a matrix organization.
- Demonstrated ability to constructively influence peers and senior leaders across the enterprise.
- Working knowledge of regulations in the pharmaceutical industry (US and Global preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate across geographic and functional boundaries (e.g., Discovery, Early Development, disease strategy teams, marketing, access, etc.) and building strong external relationships
- Ability to navigate through a complex and dynamic healthcare environment.
- Current knowledge of scientific issues as they impact business development and strategic planning.
- Success in situations requiring rigorous, analytical problem solving and the ability to determine scientific opportunity and commercial targets.
- Broad understanding of domestic and international issues relative to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Proven agility in prioritizing and navigating competing demands.
*NOTE: Level of role is differentiated by scope, potential business impact and enterprise level initiatives.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.