UAlbany has several industry specific job and internship fairs coming up, see below for tips on how to prepare and impress attending recruiters:
Before the fair
- Research – find out what companies are attending the fairs and prioritize the ones you want to approach.
- What to bring – make copies of your resume (you can have it critiqued first, too!) – the number of copies depends on how many employers you plan to talk to.
- If you’re nervous, unsure of how the fairs work, or need your resume reviewed, reach out to the Office of Career and Professional Development and schedule an appointment.
During the fair
- Dress to impress – professional attire such as button down shirt, tie, dress pants, dress, blazer, and comfortable shoes! If you need professional attire, check out Purple Threads.
- Be prepared, friendly, and confident when approaching tables – create a short elevator pitch with your name, major, skills, what position your interested in as well as why you’d like to work for their company.
- Hand recruiter your resume and take their business card or contact information to follow-up.
After the fair
- Within 24-48 hours, follow-up with recruiter using contact information you received. Thank them for their time and information.
- Ask recruiter if they are available for an informational interview regarding open positions to continue your conversation from the fair.