Students can use the summer months to gain valuable experience. In the Make the Most of Your Summer Series, we highlight various students who are making their summer count. This week’s spotlight is on Omar Gai, a Senior majoring in Business Administration with concentrations in Management and Marketing (who also has an impressive 4.0 GPA!).
1. What are you doing during the summer?
This upcoming summer, I will be interning at Saint-Gobain, a French Multinational Corporation. I will be joining their Human Resources Team. I am excited about the opportunity to add value to their organization while also learning throughout my time there. I found this internship opportunity on Handshake during the winter break. I reached out to the Human Resource Manager and scheduled a Microsoft Teams meeting. The meeting was supposed to be 15 minutes but we were on the call for more than an hour discussing my background and the HR Manager’s experiences at the company. We connected on LinkedIn and she passed my information onto the recruiter who reached out, scheduled several interviews, and ultimately sent an acceptance email for me to start full-time in a few weeks!
2. What do you hope to learn from this experience?
There are two main things I am looking to gain from this internship:
1. Sharpen my communication skills. In this day and age, communication is paramount, because being able to effectively communicate is invaluable.
2. Learn more about Saint-Gobain’s business from the more experienced employees within the company by networking and building good relationships.
3. Outside of this experience, what else are you looking forward to this summer?
Aside from this internship, I am looking forward to taking online certification courses in Data Analysis, Python, and Improving Communication through Coursera. I believe it is important to always acquire new skills because the job market is very competitive so one way I can stand out is by diversifying my skill set.